Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Sharing household chores 
"I hate when my mom asks me to help her around the house and acts like it's going to be fun," says Lori, as she rolls her eyes. "I'm not Huck Finn. White washing a fence wasn't fun then and it isn't fun now. Either is emptying the dishwasher, folding the laundry or vacuuming."
"I'll do my share of chores around the house more willingly," explains Sophie, "if my brother has to do his. Once in a while my mother will ask my brother to clear the table after dinner but no one gives him a hard time when he quits in the middle to answer the phone. 'Boys will be boys,' I guess they figure. Me, I figure it's not fair."
"I wouldn't mind helping out," explains Vicki, "if my parents let me do the job my way. We live in a home, not a hospital, I'm a daughter, not a maid, and I hate the white glove that comes out to check to see if I cut corners in the way I washed the kitchen floor. If my way's not good enough, let them do it themselves."
Let's face it, dust and dirt are four letter words to everyone. We'd all rather be doing something more fun. We've all heard our parents remind us how hard they had to work when they were teenagers. We've all had one or another privilege threatened if we didn't do our part. And we'd all be better off if we could resolve these issues once and for all.
While the statistics uphold what you've known to be true...girls do more of the work around the house (80% of girls do chores vs. 60% of boys)...so do working moms. Researchers found that 90% of Americans spend almost half their weekends doing chores, leaving them feeling as worn out on Monday morning as they did on Friday night. The question is not whether your parents should expect you should help out, but how you can, with the least number of battles.
Info from BeingGirl.com