Thursday, December 8, 2011

How to Be an African American Female... with Great Hair! By Stephanie C

I know from personal experience that we as African American young ladies have a hard time with keeping our hair looking good; while at the same time not spending too much money. Me personally, I like saving my money for buying clothes or going out and doing something fun with my friends. I believe why spend more money than you need to? Most people only spend money on some items because they want to, it's not something that has to happen.   I have some tips that will leave you with beautiful hair and money to spare.
African American Hair can definitely be difficult to manage, if you don't have the right hair care products. The key to good hair care is to select the right products and healthy maintenance. Cleaning the hair of all debris is the first defense against preventing damaged hair.  If possible always use a moisture rich shampoo that detangles hair while cleansing at the same time, and  doesn't strip the hair of essential nutrients. The product I use is Pantene Pro-V, Relaxed and Natural which is for African American hair. The product state that it has moisturizing conditioners that hydrate hair and help relieve scalp's dryness. Also helps dry, brittle hair look healthy and irresistibly shiny by fortifying hair with essential oils to keep your hair strong against damage, soft, manageable and shiny. It also gently cleanses chemically-relaxed, pressed or natural hair. I also use Pantene Pro V Relaxed and Natural Conditioner and the Wrap and Set lotion spray as a detangler.  Because the next step to great hair is the conditioner and then the styling.  Well, I don't know about you, but this is something that really catches my attention!  Especially since as an African American my hair can get very dry and brittle; not to mention the damage of perming and overheating it.  That makes the Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural line of products perfect for me because it is good for my type of hair and affordable.
I actually use these products weekly.  One  particular time I was preparing for homecoming and had spent all my money on my outfit and my ticket.  I had permed my hair the week before but when I looked in the mirror, I said “this hair is not going to work.”  So I went to my cabinet and started with the Pantene Pro V shampoo then ended with the Wrap and Set lotion.  And I must say my hair match my outfit both were fabulous!!! Of course!
I have concerns about breakage, because the fact of it is, too much heat from blow dryers, curling irons, chemical damage from perms, color, bleach or chemical relaxers, too much exposure to the sun,  and poor brushing and combing habits can lead to breakage. Here are some of the care steps I use for my hair:
  1. I use a wide tooth comb and Pantene Pro V Wrap and Set lotion as a detangler when my hair is wet because it helps my hair shed less.
  2. My hair is trimmed every 3-5 weeks to help prevent split ends.
  3. I get my perm touched up every two to three months, too many perms can over process your hair, which leads to stiff, unhealthy hair.
  4. My hair is colored so it is very important that I keep it moisturized everyday.
  5. I shampoo, condition, and blow-dry my hair every week. I use a good quality dryer with a comb attached on medium to low heat setting.  I try to make sure to direct the air flow of the dryer down the hair shaft, or in other words away from the scalp to the ends.  For me this seems to eliminate frizz and leaves my hair more shiny.
I use these tips along with the Pantene Pro V Relaxed and Natural products and my hair is well ….. FABULOUS!
It is very important to stay committed to your hair. It may seem OK now but, not treating your hair properly can lead to hair loss as an adult. Hopefully my tips will help you and I look forward to you experiencing healthy, beautiful, radiant hair. Check out the www.pantene.com site for more product information and hair tips.