Monday, August 13, 2012

How to Mix & Match!

Color Code: How to Mix & Match

Let’s face it, color and summer go together like the ocean and sand, but when it comes to mixing and matching your favorite brights, the task can sometimes seem a bit daunting. In high school my closet was made up of 90% black and grey pieces, mainly because I was terrified to stand out. Not only was I scared to wear color, I didn't know how to mix it either. It wasn't until college that I learned the basic rules of color mixing and I gained the confidence to stray from my go-to shades of grey.

This summer no hue is off limits and I think its super important that we all make mental notes of the basic color rules to prevent overdosing on a crazy color concoction. Some of my favorite things about having been a fashion major were getting to play with different textures and shades. In my aesthetics and textile classes I learned fashion rules that I still refer to everyday!

In school, I always had a color wheel tucked into my notebook to help on various projects. Nowadays, I've got the wheel completely memorized, which is extremely helpful, especially when I'm at the mall trying to quickly pull together an outfit for an upcoming event. Whether you have a go-to color combination, enjoy the classics, or you’re crushing on trendy palettes like neons or pastels, simple color rules can easily help you style and accessorize an editorial-worthy look in mere seconds. 
Color Code: How to Mix & Match