Friday, September 14, 2012

How I became my own personal trainer (not the paid kind).


You can too!
A while ago my most strenuous daily activity was looking for the remote control, and my weight training routine was carrying enough food from the kitchen, so I didn't have to make another trip. I did this because I didn't have the energy to get up to change the channelor even walk to the other room!

The term couch potato didn't apply to mepotatoes are too lively! I never wanted to go anywhere or do anything. Then it hit meI didn't feel goodEVER! I also realized that I didn't look so great either. Somewhere along the line I REALLY stopped taking care of myself, and it had taken its toll, even though I'm only 19.

That's when I decided to become my own personal trainer and make my health my top priority. Here are some tips that helped me become a better looking and feeling person.

A Doctor's Visit
First I threw away the chips and the last half cupcake. Then I went to my doctor. She made sure that it was okay for me to exercise since I was inactive for so long. Of course, she recommended that I follow a healthy routine which consists of diet and exercise to feel better and become healthier.

Tumblr_ma6jyxqxx01rszqwmo1_500_large

My Healthy RoutinePhase 1: dog walks and rabbit food

The idea of running five miles was as foreign to me as skipping the butter on popcorn or answering, "No," to "Do you want that super-sized?" I realized I had to set short-term realistic goals.

To start exercising, I promised my dogwho had gotten a little roly-poly herselfa brisk walk everyday. To improve my diet, I committed to eating vegetables at lunch and dinner.

Phase 1 plan:
  • Daily walk with the dog.
  • Eat more veggies.
 .
That's it. Just two little adjustments to my healthy routine. It may seem like nothing, but it's a lot, and it makes it a lot easier to stick to than a bunch of new rules.

How am I doing?
It's been a month now, and I can't believe how much better I feel. I have tons more energy and sleep better at night. The dog even shaved off a couple of dog years.

My Healthy RoutinePhase 2: build up staminaMy achievements got me so psyched that now I want to keep getting healthy, so I set some more manageable, short-term goals:

I decide to add some jogging to my daily walking exercise. By increasing my walking to jogging, I'll strengthen my heart and increase my endurance.

I also decided to cut down on the number of sodas I drink. Cutting back on sodas meant giving up a favorite drink, but it also meant getting rid of 10 teaspoons of sugar (140 empty calories) not to mention caffeine (Yuck!) per can. I decided to consider a soda a treat instead of a drink with every meal.

Tumblr_lxuapfdxrh1r674hyo1_1280_large

Phase 2 plan:
  • Jog with the dog three days a week.
  • Cut back on soda.

Some other easy quick tips:
  • Instead of chatting online with your friends, chat while you're going for a walk.
  • If you're dying for a junk food snack, get the single serving size so that you can finish the bag and it's not a disaster.

You can do it too
You don't have to hire a trainer to be healthy. Be your own personal trainer. Pick out two things RIGHT NOW that you think you could stick to for a month. Make one a diet change, one an exercise action. Or try the ones I'm doing if they apply to you!

Resize_large

I'm really excited about getting healthy. Check back with me in a month and see how I'm doingI could really use your support.